Tips For Cancer Prevention – It’s well known that a healthy lifestyle can help to reduce your risk of contracting certain diseases, including cancer. With so much information available on the subject, it can be tricky to know where to begin when it comes to adopting a healthier attitude towards life. There are numerous things you can do both individually and in combination with others as part of a group to reduce your risk of developing different types of cancer.
However, there are many misconceptions about what exactly causes cancer and how we can avoid contracting the disease. In this blog post, we will explain the most important factors when it comes to reducing your risk of developing cancer and provide you with some top tips for avoiding contracting the disease in the future.
What is Cancer?
Cancer is a general term used to describe a wide range of diseases that occur when uncontrolled cell growth occurs in the body. There are over 100 different types of cancer, though they can be categorized into two main groups: Different types of cancer can occur anywhere in the body, but some are more common in certain areas. For example, cancers of the breast and prostate are most likely to occur in the tissue of the breast or prostate respectively, while different types of blood cancers are more common in the blood. Some of the most common cancers are lung, breast, bowel, and prostate cancer.
Cancer can affect anyone at any age, but the risk increases with age. The chance of developing breast cancer, for example, is 5 times higher in women aged over 60 than in women aged between 50-59.
Tips For Cancer Prevention
1) Reduce your risk of cancer with a healthy lifestyle
Many lifestyle factors can help to reduce your risk of developing cancer. While some are more effective than others, almost all of them have some bearing on reducing your chances of contracting the disease. The most important factors when it comes to reducing the chance of developing cancer include:
– Healthy eating: While this might sound like a no-brainer, eating a balanced and healthy diet full of fresh, unprocessed foods can reduce your risk of contracting 16 different types of cancer including lung, bowel, and breast cancer. Eating a healthy diet is also just as important for cancer survivors as it is for those who haven’t yet been diagnosed.
– Staying hydrated: Cancer research has shown that hydration has a massive impact on reducing the risk of developing certain types of cancer. For example, the risk of contracting colon cancer is 2 times higher in people who consume less than the recommended 8 glasses of water per day.
– Avoiding tobacco: There is a strong link between smoking cigarettes and developing certain types of cancer, including lung, mouth, larynx, and bladder cancer. If you’re a current smoker, quitting as soon as possible can reduce your risk of contracting cancer significantly.
– Exercising regularly: There is ample evidence to suggest that exercising regularly can reduce your risk of contracting certain types of cancer. According to Cancer Research UK, “regular exercise can reduce your risk of 12 different types of cancer, including bowel, breast, and prostate cancer”.
– Having a healthy body weight: Being overweight or obese can increase your risk of contracting certain types of cancer. You can reduce your risk of developing some cancers by maintaining a healthy weight.
2) Watch what you eat: Foods that help and harm
Although we’ve already mentioned that a healthy diet is extremely important for reducing your risk of developing cancer, the type of foods you eat is also very significant. Certain foods are known to reduce the risk of cancer, while others are thought to increase the risk. For example, research has shown that eating more vegetables reduces the risk of developing colorectal cancer by as much as 49% while increasing your intake of fiber can reduce your risk of contracting bowel cancer by as much as 34%.
Certain foods can also increase your risk of contracting certain types of cancer. For example, eating red and processed meat can increase the risk of contracting bowel cancer by 20% and 50% respectively. Although the research is still ongoing, many foods are thought to reduce the risk of contracting certain types of cancer.
3) Stay in control of your weight
As we’ve already mentioned, maintaining a healthy weight is important if you want to reduce your risk of developing certain cancers. Excess body weight is associated with an increased risk of 12 different types of cancer, including oesophageal, pancreatic, and colorectal cancer.
Simply put, the more weight you have to carry around with you, the more strain your body has to deal with. Excess weight places a great deal of strain on your body, including your immune system. It’s important to remember that weight gain doesn’t always mean you’re overweight; in fact, being underweight can also increase your risk of several cancers.
4) Learn to relax and breathe properly
Many of us don’t spend enough time relaxing, which can hurt our health. Relaxation techniques can help to reduce the stress hormone cortisol in the body and can even help to treat certain mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression. When cortisol levels are reduced, your body’s immunity is improved, which can help to reduce your risk of developing certain types of cancer.
Practicing proper breathing is another relaxation technique that can help to reduce your risk of contracting certain types of cancer. Controlled breathing has been shown to reduce the risk of developing oesophageal, colorectal, and pancreatic cancer. When you’re relaxed, your body’s ability to fight off infections is improved, helping to reduce your risk of contracting certain types of cancer. It’s also important to remember that relaxation techniques don’t just have to be practiced during your downtime; you can also use them during your daily activities to help reduce stress levels and improve your health.
Also Refer :- 5 Practical and Simple Ways to Cure Diabetes
There are many things that you can do to reduce your risk of developing cancer. One of the most important things that you can do is to adopt a healthy lifestyle; eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and maintaining a healthy weight are all great ways to reduce your risk of contracting this disease. By following these tips, you can reduce your risk of developing cancer and live a healthier, happier life.